Friday, December 19, 2008

Did You Operate Your Jewellery Tumbler As I Do

The jewellery tumbler can make the quality of the jewellery pieces fine if they are light weighed and tumbled infrequently. The professional tumbler is long lasting as compared to craft quality tumbler. I am being a designer use the tumbler of lortone brand which is used in my family for thirty years. Yet it works great as before when it was new. Who use their tumbler for rocks; they should thoroughly clean their tumbler. Because any piece of rock left inside the tumbler will destroy the pieces of jewellery.
Mixed steel shot should be used if jewellery is desired to be hard. When only the work of polishing and shining is required then the plastic pellets should be used. Mixed steel shot has pins, balls and other figures in classified sizes. These sizes jiggle their way inside the jewellery and tumble it from every corner and cracks as well. While using it first time, the pellets should be rinsed several times. I use a strainer which has smaller holes than pins and is convenient to rinse my mixed steel shot to drain.
Clean water is sufficient to cover the pellets of the barrel of jewellery tumbler. Then the dishwashing detergent should be used with water for cleaning. I just use two or three drops of liquid detergent in my tumbler. It is cheaper and what I observed is that it really does a great job.
I, after cleaning the pellets, load them in the barrel of tumbler. Then I clean the tumbler while adding clean water and two or three drops of liquid detergent. And then I add the pieces of jewellery in the tumbler which are going to be tumbled. Then I inquire that is the sufficient water is added which will cover all jewellery pieces or not. And then I close the barrel of the tumbler and start it. I put my tumbler in a knee deep baking dish because some times the barrel may not be tight as it should be, so it may leak out.
I check my jewellery in intervals to confirm that is it being tumbled as it should or not. Then I took the jewellery out from the tumbler and rinse in clean water and then I dry it. I judge the shininess or hardness, if I use steel pellets. Then if the hardness is still there and the shininess is not bright then I continue the tumbling. If I feel that shininess can also be taken out with a polishing cloth than I prefer the cloth because with more tumbling the pieces can be weak or brittle. Only the heavier pieces requires more time. The act of adding water in the tumbler should be done twice because once it will be added for cleaning the tumbler and secondly it would be for the jewellery.
The components of the tumbler like the electrical connections, belts and others should be checked monthly. Although my jewellery tumbler is old it does not requires major maintenance except the checking of belts and dirt which other machines also have to.

For More Information and Articles on Jewellery:
Please visit this site for full information about Jewellery and its different types and designs. For example Gold Jewellery, Silver Jewellery, Engagement Rings etc:
http://www.myjewelersplace.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment